Thursday 21 August 2014

A Foggy Future

Hello internet! It's been a while since I have written anything blog-like and since I have yet again fell into the abyss of indecision, I thought I will try this again to calm my nerves (they are very strung up these days), and what better way to start all of this again than to share my college experience?

My fall semester at college is starting next Monday, and this will be my second semester. My first semester was relatively fun, with an amazing History professor Mr. Leong Soo Ming (Mr. Leong, if you see this, umm, never mind) and awesome coursemates. However, everything fell to pieces when I decided to look up my targeted university, University of Southern California, for my future transfer. As I scrolled through the majors offered to look up for my initial major which is journalism, my eyes fell on two schools, right on top of each other. School of Cinematic Arts and School of Dramatic Arts.

Now, I have never really done any acting in my life (or much of anything else either), but I am a person often described by others as 'dramatic'. Most of the times when these moments occurred I actually overexaggerated my emotions or behaviors to a level of absurdity to humor my friends. Can I act? I don't know. Am I tempted? Heck yeah.

On another note, there was also the option of writing for screen and television. I do enjoy writing now and then, with storylines that revolve around characters that are excluded from the society either by talent or situation. I do not know if  I can write anything that has the weight of an actual script for a play, but I again am tempted by the very thought of it.

And then there's journalism. I am a food addict, critic, connoisseur all in one, and so journalism naturally occurred to me when I quit my culinary diploma last January. I want to use the power of a journalist to spread messages (food or no food), to let the world know things covered up, to be the voice that prevails when everyone else quieten down. To write is my passion and dream, at least, until I saw the words theater.

I had never really did anything spectacular in my life. I can't draw as nice as comic artists, I can't sing for two pence, I can't make music due to me not knowing how to play any musical instruments, I can't do maths and science (I tune out, that's how inept I am), and many more. The only things that I were and am good at, it sounds pretty lame, but it's an extended knowledge of a lot of things (a LOT, I can give brief explanations three out of five random topics) and writing + making up stories (perhaps me lying very well has something to do with this......). This is the very reason why I am at this crossroad. I don't know if I can act, or write for other people to act, but I know that this knowledge will forever elude me if I never try.

Hence, the topic. My future is now a foggy mess, a wide plain scattered with hidden jagged stones that will trip me up if I run carelessly through it. I have already composed a plan A, which is to take up theater class THTR101 as soon as there's an opening, and experience it for myself. If all else goes well, I will finally know what I should do with my life.

Here's to a future where the fog is gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment