Tuesday 16 September 2014

OMG, TWO Live Music Restaurants?!

Like what the title said, I visited two live music restaurants this week, and since I didn't have the time to post the first time last weekend (more like I procrastinated so much that I decided to leave it till later), I thought I might as well post them both at once.

The first one I visited this week was on Saturday (see what I mean with procrastination?), and its name is Six Inch Cafe. Six Inch Cafe is a live music restaurant that is located at a famous area in Cheras Selatan called C180 (I don't know what that means though) that has a collection of many types of restaurants, along with some drinks and desserts shops. The cafe's name Six Inch seems to be an innuendo for, you know (*whispers* penisss) but it's actually referencing to their signature dish, which are hot dogs with seasoned sausages.

My first thought when I saw the restaurant was :"Is it legal for them to take over the sidewalk?" Usually there is an allotted space outside shop lots for sidewalk purposes (duh), but Six Inch Cafe put their own chairs and tables on the sidewalk to the point that you can barely walk past them. They also did this.

That's right, they laid down AstroTurf (or something like it) on the pavement.
Having found a table and sat down, I promptly looked around with curiosity.

I was nearly blinded by this.
Bedazzled by the sparkling trees, I turned away and looked down on my menu.

They have a variety of choices including both Western and Eastern dishes.
Nothing pleases a food enthusiast more than a menu with tons of choices. I decided to order a cheesy pork burger from the special set menu that comes with fries and soft drink. We also ordered a chicken fillet, a hot dog, a chicken burger, and a Cantonese style fried noodles. When the waiter went to make our orders, I looked up and saw this.



They hung up dried vampires and ghouls' corpses for the Halloween season (I wonder who their supplier is, they did a great job at making sure the corpses don't smell). I didn't get a picture of the waiters, but they were wearing masks and helmets with horns on them to accommodate the coming holiday season (even though the horns don't really make much sense). We talked for a bit when my dad's drink arrived.

It doesn't look it, but it was one of the largest drinks I have ever seen.
Shortly after that, our food arrived.

This is what is left of the hot dog when I remembered to take a picture of it, with the noodles in the background.


This was the chicken fillet...
...and this was the cheesy pork burger.
 The sausage was seasoned well and the bun was grilled with butter. I wouldn't say it's the best around but it's much better than I had expected. The chicken was okay, not terrible butnot exceedingly delicious, but the sauce was good. The big surprise was my cheesy pork burger. First off, it's huge, bigger than a lot of burgers out there. They made the patties themselves and even blow torched the cheese that was laid on top of the patty to give it that nice Maillard flavor. I was slightly disappointed that they didn't put any cheese inside the patty, but everything else was spectacular. We arrived a bit too early so when the unplug band started performing at 9 o' clock, it was too late for us to stay and just listen to them without the company of food.

Even though their main attraction is their sausage buns/ hot dogs/ whatever you want to call them, their burger won me over instead with its juiciness and size. The buns were also grilled with butter which made them much better than plain unheated burger bun, and the vegetables were fresh with no signs of wilted leaves and the sort. The huge drink my dad ordered was not bad but not what you would want if you drink little to no liquid during your meals. The Cantonese style noodles was acceptable, but I have had way better ones somewhere else.

VERDICT
Food: 3.75 oui's out of 5.
Atmosphere: 3 oui's out of 5.
Furnishing: 3.5 oui's out of 5.
Serving attitude: 1.5 oui's out of 5.

 I was pleased with the food, but not so pleased with the waiters' serving attitude. Our orders came at an appropriate time, but everything was not. We asked for extra utensils and other things, but after we told three waiters and waited for half an hour, we still didn't get what we requested. We pretty much gave up in the end. The unplug band was okay but not anything worth shouting for.

Would I recommend it? If you're looking for good food but at a price not too terrifyingly high, this is the place for you! Their price range is within 20 ringgits which is not too expensive considering it's a live music restaurant. Try to arrive at the restaurant a little bit later so that you can listen to the band before you are halfway through your food.

That looks bigger than six inch.
Six Inch Cafe
No.32-G, Jalan C180/1, Dataran C180, 43200 Cheras, Selangor.
+6012-2366737

sixinch.cafe@yahoo.com








As I promised, I am reviewing another live music restaurant and this one a kind-of-well known chain restaurant called Wings Cafe. Wings Cafe is a live music cafe that provides unplugged music every night and has eight chains across Malaysia so far. The name Wings is actually an acronym for the cafe's name when read in Chinese (they used Cantonese and Mandarin), which is w (wui回), ing (音), and s (shi 石), which is "echo rock" in literal meaning.

I had gone to the other chain of the restaurant in Kuchai Lama (if my memory serves me right) before this visit, so I had a pretty good idea of what to expect. I am sad to say that I am somewhat disappointed with this visit.

We went in and picked a table close to the performing stage. It was sort of dim in the restaurant but I could still read the menu (slightly difficult than usual). I briefly explained to my parents what the restaurant offers before we called for the waiter. There was only one waiter, but with the restaurant's slow business (which is totally different from the other chain) she was able to serve us promptly.

We ordered our food and I glanced around.

There's a bar where they make the drinks.
We waited a little over 20 minutes before any of our orders came.

My drink, Potion.
My Potion drink was an interesting mix between blue curacao and passion fruit, it was sour and sweet but not much of a wow factor. Our food came minutes after our drinks.

I forgot to take a picture before I started. It's a smoked bacon aglio olio.

After several mouthfuls, the heat hit me and I gulped down my Potion in a desperate attempt to drown the spiciness in my mouth. My dad saw my distress and he asked me if I wanted to have his pan fried chicken instead.

It was pan fried and covered in mushroom sauce.
At this time (around 9 o' clock), two men in their twenties went up on the performing stage and started tuning their guitars. After we finished our meal we listened to a few songs and I sent up a paper with my song request. I was baffled when he read out my song request and said that he didn't know how to sing it, and I stared at my dad with my mouth hanging open for a good minute or two. One more song after what happened, we settled our bill and left.

VERDICT
Food: 3.25 oui's out of 5.
Atmosphere: 3.25 oui's out of 5.
Furnishing: 3 oui's out of 5.
Serving attitude: 3.75 oui's out of 5.

The food was mildly disappointing for I had better ones during the other visit, but it was the smoked bacon aglio olio that made me shook my head at. *LOTR meme* One does not simply make aglio olios that spicy without making people dislike it. The price was scary to say the least, and it costed nearly two times of what we paid for at Six Inch Cafe. The singers were also not very good compared to the ones me and my mom each visited on different occasions. It is safe to say that I won't patronize this particular chain until they bring themselves up to the other chains' standards.

Would I recommend it. Sadly, no, at least not until improvements have been made. I would recommend you to go to the one in Mahkota Cheras (which my mom spoke highly of) for a better live music restaurant experience.

Wings Cafe
No. 74, Jalan SS2/60, 47300 Petaling Jaya, Selangor
+603-7876 3309
www.wingsmusicafe.com








Until next time, I wish you marvelous gastronomy experiences in your future.

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog! thanks for sharing it, if Looking for the Best restaurants with live music Encinitas, CA. Make the most of your night out at these live music restaurants Encinitas.

    ReplyDelete